Sunday, January 20, 2008

chewing elephant

Welcome to 2008, everyone.

I’m beginning to settle into this 2008-thing. No longer writes 07 in dates

entry. Apparently Im very attached to last year. Amongst other things.


How was your new year? How was your old year?

My 2007 was high on sugar. Dizzyingly sweet I almost regret.

And as for 2008, I started mine with a high so high and a low so low

on the very same day. It was quite a story eventually. But Ill get over it.


Im enjoying a nice routine these days. Its different from last year.

Last year when I work full time in a coffee shop, I often had jumbled

schedules and random day offs.


And day offs is syrupy. I like waking up in the morning knowing that

there is a blank day ahead of me that could be filled with anything.

Some days they were exceptionally productive and fun,

some days they were awfully boring I died,

some days they were directionless and full of questioning.


Questions like - what am I doing in Melbourne?

Is this where im supposed to be? Is this what Im supposed to be doing?

Have I gone down some wrong roads?

Should I go back to Jakarta? When?

Should I move elsewhere instead? Do something new?

Do postgrad maybe? Really?


So many directions to consider I seem to forget the original.

Its like KFC meal box. And you dont know where to start.

Maybe I should advertise for a housemate.. I seem lost without.


Things I learned from these questions, though..

What I need now is not seeking more heavy changes

in environment or people or landscapes.

I just need to have new eyes in seeing things.

And take my time to work on this one I have, before moving on.


That me, suddenly bookkeeping, invoicing, sorting clients,

driving places, driving home, seeing friends, serving coffee,

all in a city that appreciates art and weather..

as things do need to start, Im glad it started here.


It may sound quite the opposite,

but instead of boring me to sleep, routine wakes me up.

Maybe life is one day at a time. You eat whats on your plate for the day.

Sometimes its too much, sometimes too little.

But no one asks you to chew an elephant.


I was lacking some routines last year and thats why it feels

so nice having them back. Athough in the back of my head I know routines

dont stay remarkable like this.


But at least im taking notes
for me. I think noting phases we go

through is necessary. Or maybe because Im forgetful.


So much for a new years ponder I think.

I vote for three things to shape up this year:


having new eyes,

keeping the original plan in mind,

and no chewing elephant.



Enjoy the rest of the year, everyone.

Posted by nidya at Sunday, January 20, 2008

Comments:
"I like waking up in the morning knowing that there is a blank day ahead of me that could be filled with anything."

I can relate :)

Btw, beautiful post, Nidya...
 
I wish my blog posts is 1/2 as interesting as yours.

Hi Nidya! thats my first hi in 2008 to you. Sorry for the delay,

- ridwan
 
Post a Comment