Friday, July 20, 2007

twentysomething

do you think people are more shaped by what they hear and see, or

do you think the things they hear and see

are more shaped by who they are?


I was walking home from work and found myself admiring a rainbow

just above the hilly turn of my unit blocks.

And I found myself thinking that it is kind of funny that I am still infatuated

by the same things I was when I was a little girl.

I still love rainbows.


And I still want Doraemon to show up from my desk drawer too.


Because when I said I wanted to grow up,

I did not mean every part of me.

Though I yearn for becoming an adult,

growing more fully into ourselves sounds more rewarding still.


After some serious House/Techno/Trance months,

I find myself once again enjoying quiet folk and breezy tunes.

After some serious girly necklace-wearing months,

I find myself once again wearing t-shirts, hoodie and converse sneakers.

And I like postcards very much, again.


Perhaps the things I have done,

the places I have been, the people I have met

they did not intend to change me more than I let them.

Like a part of a wonderful dance,

they just walk me to stretch and exercise and see.


Looking back at my twentyone was like all these mental exercises.

It was like eating a whopper burger.

So tasty, so unhealthy, so quickly munched,

I would do it again.


now twentytwo twentythree twentynine will pass o so quickly

but i want them to be full and fearless

fruitful and flavoursome

fun and fluorescent


the best decade yet to come

Posted by nidya at Friday, July 20, 2007

Comments: Post a Comment